Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Updates: Tenure, Google Glass, and a Very Positive Review

Just some updates of a personal, professional, and academic nature.

First of all, a couple of weeks ago, I was awarded tenure and promotion!  So after that little bit of news, I took a bit of a breather from everything (aside from classes, grading, and my usual semester duties).  Tenure is an interesting feeling; definitely a good one, but much more loaded than I originally thought it would be.

Secondly, a few months back, the office of Academic Affairs at Western State Colorado University generously contributed partial funds to help me acquire Google Glass. I've been using them pretty regularly now and am now composing what I hope will be a series of posts about them. Just a warning, though, these will not be a standard "user review."  You can get that anywhere.  I've been thinking long and hard about how I was going to write about Glass. But, as usual, some classroom discussion regarding technology inspired me, and now I know exactly how I'm going to go about my blog posts regarding glass. Despite the fact that we're entering that chaotic end-of-the-semester rush, I'm hoping to get the first post out within the next week or so.

Finally, I am really happy about a recent review of Posthuman Suffering and the Technological Embrace. Even though the book came out in 2010, I'm happy that it still has legs. This particular review appeared in The Information Society: An International Journal. All of the reviews have been positive, but this one really seemed to understand my intentions much more intrinsically. So I'm really happy about that.

So yes, although I've been quiet, good things have been happening. And look for my Google Glass entries soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment